Calvary is the only active Catholic cemetery in Oil City. The first burial took place in
Old Saint Joseph Cemetery
Located near the intersection of Bishop and Carroll Avenues adjacent to Grove Hill Cemetery, “Old” Saint Joseph Cemetery was dedicated on September 17, 1871. This 5 acre cemetery replaced the temporary Catholic burying ground located near Pinoak in Cranberry Township. Following the dedication, the remains from the old burying ground were reinterred in the new cemetery. Burials continued at Old Saint Joseph’s into the twentieth century.
Saint Catherine Cemetery
In 1861, Bishop Joshua Young (1808-1866) purchased 10 acres of property in Cranberry Township near what was then known as Salina for the purpose of establishing a Catholic mission. The details of St. Catherine’s mission are unclear but 0.6 acres of Bishop Young’s purchase would go on to become St. Catherine’s Cemetery.
Directions to Saint Catherine Cemetery
Saint Catherine’s is located in the woods off of Halls Run Road in Cranberry.
(1) From the intersection of PA-257 and US-322, head East on 322 toward Clarion about one mile.
(2) Turn right onto Halls Run Road.
(3) Immediately turn left onto the driveway/access road.
(4) Keep the left, following the dirt road into the woods ~50 yards. The cemetery is on the right.